See Also: Priests of our Parish
St. Mary’s Catholic Parish is steeped in history. The first Mass was conducted at the ‘old town’ in 1852 and by 1861 Maryborough had its first resident priest, Father Paul Tissot, who was a French national. The building of St. Mary’s Church at Maryborough commenced in 1869 and was officially opened in 1872. In 1878 the Sacred Heart Church at Tiaro was opened and Our Lady of the Way Church at Aramara in 1950. The details of the Parish Priests who have served here may be found on the separate page entitled Former Parish Priests. Click here >>
This information is taken from a publication written by Fr Denis Martin, Archivist for the Archdiocese of Brisbane for the 150th celebration of the parish in 2011. Copies of the book are available from the parish office for $10.